So, I'm living on the moon.
Well maybe not, but with temperatures as low as this it seems like it. The streets are empty and the city is silent. Typically you can experience this sense of solitary isolation by going for early morning walks, however at minus 35 celsius you can experience it just about any time of day.
I am slowly beginning to become more involved in the culture of Edmonton and am starting to discover new exciting avenues for appreciation. I utilize many forms of transportation in Edmonton. Sometimes you will find me driving, walking, bussing, cycling and taking the LRT.
As a visual artist I am generally unappreciative of Edmonton's architectural history. The Art Gallery is definitely a step in the right direction. Edmonton needs to improve upon its aesthetic and functional design during any future growth.
Since this time of year is full of "best of" lists, I thought I would provide my own Edmonton version.
Let me know what you think.
Top 5 Coffee/Cap/Tea Spots
1. Sugar Bowl
2. Di Capo
3. Elm Cafe
4. Remedy (Chai Latte..mm)
5. That place that no one goes to in HUB that the shoemaker runs.
Top 5 Food Spots
1. Oodle Noodle
2. Dadeo
3. Zuppa's/Blue Plate Diner (Macaroni and Cheese!)
4. The Greenhouse (UofA)
5. Sunterra Market City Centre
6. Can anyone recommend a good sushi spot?
Top 5 Neighborhoods
1. Old Strathcona
2. Oliver
3. Westmount/124 st.
4. Garneau
5. Bonnie Doon
Top 5 Hang Spots
1. River Valley
2. Black Dog
3. Art Gallery of Alberta
4. Empress
5. Latitude 53
Top 5 Places I never go
1. That mall by the army base at the city's north end (I once dated an army girl and vaguely remember a mall with a tree logo...northwood is it?).
2. Communities south of South Edmonton Common (I don't support urban sprawl).
3. Mill Woods (ever since my Grandma moved out 5 years ago, I haven't been back).
4. Queen Mary Park (cheapest condos in Edmonton).
5. Giant cowboy boot.
So that's my Ed.moon.ton.
What's yours?

8 comments:
#6: Wasabi Sushi - better when it was in the strathcona chinatown mall (sic) but still good in lendrum
my vancouverite friend says sushi doesn't exist in edmonton. he's edmontonian. such self hate. tsk.
i too would like to know some awesome sushi places.
there's a good sushi place, can't remember what it's called, right near remedy in that little strip mall, by dominos and phobulous. nice atmosphere inside, though it doesn't look very nice from the storefront.
I also love the Sugar Bowl and Remedy! They've helped me develop a bad habit of always having dessert with my tea ...
I think muse is talking about Kyoto, and I second the recommendation. Go before 4pm to get lunch menu prices instead of dinner ones. :) In the south side there's Wasabi by Southgate, and there are also a couple of good all-you-can eat places: Sapporo near the Royal Alex and Zen downtown (which is cheaper).
I think it's really interesting how so many people have mentioned the Sugarbowl on their blogs. I know I have, because my University-Garneau bubble has the Sugarbowl as one of it's outer limits.
I was introduced to it a while ago by a playwright-friend of mine, who often went there to write or have meetings. Now I find myself going there for - oddly enough - the same reasons. It's a definite fixture in the University area, but I know it mostly as common ground for theatre folk, second only to The Next Act Bar.
Going there at night, sitting in a dark corner while the place pulses around you is very cool, and for me, I actually get the feeling I'm suddenly not in Edmonton anymore. I think the same goes for places like Leva and Da Capo, because they're based on European concepts of luxury. Yet I like the feeling of being displaced from the city while still being in the city.
I have to agree with Rita and Muse on the best sushi spots. Zen and Kyoto are delicious but my #1 is a west end sushi spot called Kobe. I'm guessing from your posts you probably stay near the University area but if you ever decide to venture to the (unfortunately less exciting) west end, Kobe is worth it.
you took me to the giant cowboy boot on request 6 years ago
haha! Any I haven't been back since.
But maybe that will change this semester!
Post a Comment