Debord’s derive was really interesting to me.
Flow.
Movement within Edmonton is often controlled by roads and building placement.
Certain roadways act as arteries to different areas.
Sidewalks typically control and move walkers in these areas.
In downtown Edmonton your options for movement are limited.
Buildings funnel people in certain directions.
Influence.
I was intrigued by Debord’s reference to walking in a small group.
How does this influence or change the movement?
I felt as though his theory actually worked better solo.
One person flowing through architecture influenced by the general layout of a landscape.
This direct, yet mystic influence of others in your wandering adds a large variable to the results of a successful derive.
Edmonton.
I feel it is hard to move against the flow in Edmonton as there is just so much space to move in this small city.
Here is a list of some places I DO feel like I am moving against the circulation:
1) West Edmonton Mall – Anyone for making this place stroller free?
2) Whyte Ave /Art Walk – I love Art Walk. I hate running into you when you stop suddenly.
3) Hub Mall – After class breaks.
4) Post hockey game LRT – I don’t care about a new hockey stadium. I do care about moving people out of the building more productively.
4) What places move against your circulation?
Restrictions.
I enjoy putting restrictions on my wandering.
By forcing yourself to move in an unusual manner new results and experiences are often formed.
My walking.
I recently walked only down alleys during a walk around my neighbourhood.
This can be a freeing experience and one of exploration.
Which direction and which alley I moved towards had no basis. Or did it.
Social values, feelings of comfort and artistic beauty began to influence my decisions.
Interesting.
I walked for 60 blocks down alleys and didn't see one other person.
I felt extremely isolated at times, almost claustrophobic.
I couldn't turn left or right (unless I came to a t-alley).
As I made my way about Edmonton's alley system I became disoriented.
Without street signs, distinct buildings, main roadways or any form of marker, I felt like I was wandering in another world.
I walked for 60 blocks down alleys and didn't see one other person.
I felt extremely isolated at times, almost claustrophobic.
I couldn't turn left or right (unless I came to a t-alley).
As I made my way about Edmonton's alley system I became disoriented.
Without street signs, distinct buildings, main roadways or any form of marker, I felt like I was wandering in another world.
I took some photos.
UPDATE:
I ran out of film the other day and was in HUB mall. I stopped into the Hub Photo store (which I had never been to before) and asked for a roll of colour film. The man was out..."But wait!" he exclaimed. After returning from the basement he had ONE roll which was rolled tightly but worked "just fine."
I should've known...but regardless 24 shots later, the roll was already exposed.
Worst. I'm going for another walk.
UPDATE:
I ran out of film the other day and was in HUB mall. I stopped into the Hub Photo store (which I had never been to before) and asked for a roll of colour film. The man was out..."But wait!" he exclaimed. After returning from the basement he had ONE roll which was rolled tightly but worked "just fine."
I should've known...but regardless 24 shots later, the roll was already exposed.
Worst. I'm going for another walk.
To follow soon or soon to follow.

2 comments:
I love walking down alleyways - it always feels like a much more intimate experience of the city and its inhabitants. People tend to preserve a certain appearance in their front yard, but back yards seem to reveal more about a real life. Even the things people throw away - old furniture, toys, bikes, picture frames - everything gives a glimpse of what a house really holds.
Shaun, I especially love this blog post - the derive part of it, I mean. (Sorry about the film!)
Post a Comment