CHARACTERS:
I have known Percy for over 6 years and he is by far the most interesting person I have ever met. He has incredible stories which tip-toe on a tight-rope of truth until you meet him and realize those wild stories were 100% true.
To many he's a local celebrity (the guy who does amazing bike tricks at the bus stop) or the engineering genius or the successful DJ or the hockey all-star or (I sometimes hear stories) he's the guy who had his grade 9 graduation cancelled because his date was a bomb.
Regardless of what he is perceived to be, Percy is undeniably intelligent, thoughtful and a good friend.
I asked him to show me a couple of places in Edmonton that are interesting to him:
1: Baron's Red Airplane Model: C-FCKE
Location: NAIT/City Centre Airport
Info: Having graduated from NAIT's Business Program I had noticed some airplanes on the tarmac before. Percy introduced me to a new area of the runway which older models of planes reside. At this point he told me a tale of attempting to purchase his dream plane which still sits covered in snow.
Here is a sound clip of Percy talking about his dream plane:
Here is a sound clip of Percy talking about his dream plane:
2: Giant Baseball Bat Sculpture
Location: 118ave/97st
Info: My personal experience with "The Bat" was that it was weird, ugly and not needed. That of course was until Percy took me there and I discovered...it spins! Just push it...go ahead try. After getting a ride on the bottom of the bat my opinion has changed. Greatest thing in Edmonton...kidding...maybe.
Here's a sound clip of Percy's story of "The Bat":
3: Saskatchewan Drive Luge Track
Location: Saskatchewan Dr./106st
Info: Percy called me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I was interested in going to a river valley luge track....I declined. But a week later the intrigue continued to linger. After calling Percy he was more than willing to take me to the spot which the photographs do not do justice. It is a 4 feet deep trench with turns which winds down the side of the river valley. The last photo is of me giving it a shot. Unfortunately I did not have any audio of the story but Percy found this spot as it had candles and glow sticks lining its walls on the night he first came.
If you are interested to see Percy doing what he loves most:
5 comments:
I love your photos! I always think it is neat to see what people want to capture in photos and yours seem to take the class on your journey through the city.
I also think this is the coolest blog post I've ever read as you combined your stories with both photos and sound clips to show us even more about your Edmonton. You really have an interesting take on the city, and I can't wait to see more of your photos!
Ditto what Piper said!
I love how the photos you include allow us to see Edmonton from a completely different perspective than normal.
Oh, I really like this. I've been searching for a decent idea for my map, and I think I might do a variation on this; the people you see when you visit a place. We'll see.
Hi, I'm doing blog evaluations and I thought I would comment.
Amazing stuff. I'm really surprised that I can see Edmonton from such a different perspective. None of these places are new to me yet they seem as if they are now. I think it's great that you included pictures and sound, it really gives the city and your own ideas life.
Also, now I have to go push that bat. Dammit.
Dude, your blog is the coolest of them all. Kudos. The sound clips were informative and hilarious and your photos are gorgeous!
Post a Comment